Lamp of Knowledge

Lamp of Knowledge, Fourteenth century
Bronze
13 x 16.2 (cm)
Society of Antiquaries of London
 Found at St Leonard's Hill, Windsor, in 1717, and given to the Society by Sir Hans Sloane, this lamp was originally thought to be Roman. Now known to be medieval, it was designed to be suspended and is probably Jewish in origin. The lamp was adopted by the Society as its emblem, where it's often accompanied by an inscription translated as 'not to be extinguished'.
full story